Minnie and I have easily settled into our summer place. We started our work almost immediately
upon arrival, for we were several weeks late because of Erica’s graduation. Our co-workers were glad to see us, for they were covering the time we missed.
Minnie convinced the campground owner to let her and others use a vacant mobile home as a sewing studio. So she moved all her quilting stuff into one of a room and is able to work on her projects without having to pick up and store it. Her major quilt project is a new king size quilt for our bed. Along with sewing Minnie is netting a wool sweater, and making jewelry. Myself, I started my second annual vegetable garden with tomatoes, squash, and peppers, which I tend to daily. I built a deck next to the trailer and planted some flowers to create a “beer garden” to relax after a long day.
A new interest in golf has sparked up with a few of the other guys, so I go out and hack away. Actually I have won the past couple for rounds. We only play nine holes and I’m the youngest in the group. Now, the others all want to be spotted strokes.
One of the first day trips we took in the Teton National Park was off road on a dirt path to an area known as Oxbow Bend. This is where the Snake River slows and turns north, then east, and finally back south all within a square mile. A great spot for bear and moose, however we never saw either that day.
Another day trip was a hike to Taggert Lake, which sets in the foot hills between the Middle Teton and South Teton Mountains. On the way to the trailhead we drove upon a few moose grazing near Moose Junction. The hike was a moderate climb and Minnie rested only a couple of times. The trail followed a creek that had some cool water falls before reaching its source at the lake.
One of the most exciting activities we have done is to dig for fossils. We drove to Kemmerer Wy, Fossil Butte National Monument, and hooked up with an outfitter that leases a quarry from the state. At this quarry we were able to dig in the limestone to find fish fossils that are 50 million years old. We were able to keep all of the non-exotic species, so we ended up with about 15 small (2 inches) and five larger fossils (about four inches). Best trip ever…Time for a beer and a ballgame, Live Well.
1 comment:
I'm glad ya'll updated your blog. Those pictures are gorgeous. Man I wish we could make it up there. That Taggart Lake....wow!
Miss ya'll so much!
Post a Comment